Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Walking the Talking

Whew! I'm not sure what I've let myself in for with this Edcmooc for E-Learning and Digital Cultures. I've been wriggling around for years trying to get involved in using online and digital media tools for learning and now I'm totally immersed, or will be very soon. As much as I like to think that I'm pretty tech-savvy, the pre-course work alone has got me scrambling! Yes I've had a Twitter account for YEARS! But do I actually use it??? Very rarely. Yes I Blog all the time, in fact I've got about half a dozen different blogs, journals notebooks! Still have trouble making myself write every day. Yes I have a Google+ account, but I haven't done anything with it. Yes I have a Facebook account and use it frequently, but I wouldn't open THAT one up to anyone other than personal friends and family. Yes I have a LinkedIn profile and THAT one, I keep strictly Business. Suddenly my Blogger Account wants to get to know my Google+ account and my Google + account is dredging up every little thing I have ever done on line, including videos I viewed FIVE years ago on YouTube!
I've done all sorts of things over the years, including setting up email challenge games, making & posting small videos, posting lots of photos on Flickr and Picasa, and more recently starting to learn the Adobe suite of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, with the intention of being able to create my own content. But I haven't got the hang of audio podcasting and management of file sizes for audio and video files. I bought a Mac this year and it's nice using the Mac aps such as iMovie that just do it all for you, however I suspect I've got a very steep learning curve ahead of me.
This is going to be one heck of an experiment.